Saturday 19 March 2011

"She is Not Supposed to Exist..."

Y'know, I am really looking forward to moving into a new flat. Now before I go on, I should say that this is in no way a reflection on my current housemates, who have all been awesome all year. I guess it's a feeling that's more to do with the fact that the next place I live in will be all off my own back financially, and it will feel more earned rather than borrowed from the student loans company. That and if I'm only living with one other person, the two of us will be able to personalise it more than four people can personalise a shared house.

Said future housemate and I looked at a flat the other day which was amazing. In a very quiet area, in a secure building, with its own residents only gym I might add, and it was an awesome flat. Just enough space for us to play with. What caught me about the whole day though was the estate agent. She must have been one of the rudest people I have ever met. When Will and I went into the estate agent she pretty much gave no eye contact, was incredibly short with us, and when we were done she didn't even have the common courtesy to say "bye". Bint. Not only that she kept asking annoyingly probing questions to find out if Will and I could actually afford what we were asking for. So, rude and judgmental. Way to get yourself a customer.

Once again I am inclined to agree with the Greenwell. Estate Agents are quite frankly evil people. They wouldn't quite make my seven mortal enemies list, but they would easily make top 20. Probably near persistent beggars and anything Madeiran.

Anyway, with my own judgmental mental outset aside, onto more judging, of the film persuasion.

And guess what? I've lied again. It's not Kinky Boots this time.

Splice.

Kinky Boots will be next time. I'm sure anyone who cares will have gotten over it by now.

So, Adrien Brody and Kate Polley star as two genetic scientists who go against the orders of their investors and splice together 13 different species - including a human being - and are forced to deal with the consequences of this act.

Having heard fairly mixed reviews on this one, my original outlook of "oh this can't be anything but awesome" was slightly swayed somewhat, I must say. It's a low budget film for an American release, especially one starring Adrien 'I could kick King Kong's arse now I've been bodybuilding for Predators' Brody. In terms of box office gross in the US this one could actually be considered a commercial flop, it only took $16m after costing $26m. This only goes to prove one thing.

When it comes to good quality drama, the American audience generally doesn't recognise a good film unless it drives through Texas in a pink truck.

This film is very, very well put together. It starts out well, with the two successful scientists being held back from the ultimate discovery, and then going behind the backs of those who pay them to do it anyway. It has a wonderful blend of thriller, family drama and horror that makes this film almost like the main character it portrays - a different entity made up of the parts of others - which is a refreshing thought. I loved so much about this film, from the way the characters slowly shifted in their allegiances, to the twists and turns at the end. There was only one thing that really irritated me about this film, and that would be that the Spliced being, 'Dren', was given a line. The whole film was more or less her learning about her existence and reacting to the world around her, and Delphine Chaneac was brilliant in that role. I got every single emotion she went through. And then, right at the end, she gets a line which breaks the mystique of the character. It jarred me and tarnished the film a bit.

That aside, this film is really good. I'm quite glad I bought it and now it can sit proudly on the shelf. Next up, promise this time, is Kinky Boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment