Friday 18 March 2011

"Laugh, and the World Laughs With You..."

So, time for another session at the books.

The scripts progress well, I seem to be at a point in the major project where I can just sit down and know what I'm about to write and write it. I don't think I plan half as much as some of the other guys in our class, but so far my scripts have always been marked well, so I'm not going to complain.

Trying to push through getting a photoshoot or two done for the marketing portfolio as well. Oh I hope I can get all that sorted, the final outcome should be quite something.

Note: There will be no Japanese Tsunami jokes. Gilbert Gottfried got in trouble for it, and the internet is already swimming in them, so there won't be any.

Anyway, once again I have lied about which film I will review next. Burke and Hare is on the list, but I feel that as I have borrowed the DVD from Dave for some time now I should really get round to watching it. So...

Oldboy.

Now until the DVD was shoved in my lap I must admit to having never even heard about this film. It's Asian so this hardly comes as a surprise, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Basic story. Yeah, this is a Tartan Asia release, so I'm going to stop lying right now.

Story. Man is released after being in captivity for 15 years without ever knowing why. He is given only 5 days to find out who imprisoned him and why, before the woman he loves is killed. Cue shenanigans.

Now I am too tired to go onto IMDb and find the names of the cast members, so I will keep this one relatively simple.

This film is in the top 250 films of all time on said IMDb, and in my honest opinion only half of it deserves to be there. I get the feeling that if I were to sit down and try to watch Let the Right One In again I'd get the same impression from that as I did from this. This was mind-shatteringly boring in the first 45 minutes, which prompted Al and myself to switch off aforementioned Swedish film. The second half was delicious. The twist was also something special, and although the road to it was pretty convoluted, I can see why that road was there to begin with. It's existence is just annoying.

That said, the ending of this movie makes me want to watch it again. One, so I can see why they did what they did with the opening, and to see if I can understand/enjoy it anymore than I did. I don't quite know if I like this film or not. Next time I think will be the decider.

Right, seeing as I have finally got my arse into gear and watched it, the next film on my review list will actually be Burke and Hare.

No comments:

Post a Comment