Saturday 26 March 2011

"The Sex is in the Heel..."

Okay, so thats that bastard of a pilot script done and dusted. Now to lock the fucker away and never look at it again!

Apparently I have become of late rather obsessed with all things World War 2 when it comes to film and TV. I'm watching Conspiracy, which is next on the review list. band of Brothers and sooner or later The Pacific will be hitting my shelves, and quite frankly anyone who hasn't seen the Great Escape at least 12 times needs shooting.

I think the main reason I love these types of film so much is because back then human conflict was at its height. The German's hated everyone (and that includes the Italians) and everyone else hated the Germans. It's probably the most simple avenue of conflict for the modern writer, going back to such a famous war, and quite frankly that'll do me for the time being. Obviously there are some seriously standout films in that category (Downfall probably being the foremost of them) but most of them are just jaunty action fun. No problem.

SO...next up.

Kinky Boots.

This film alone proves that I will watch just about anything, and that my taste is far from limited to events between 1939 and 1945. That and I am a whore for the Ejiofor. Write that down. Now.

So, Kinky Boots tells the story of a young man who wants to break away from his father's shoe factory, but ends up inheriting it after his father's untimely death. Forced to either close it, save it or sell it, he happens upon Lola (Ejiofor) a drag queen in need of a pair of boots to match her masculine physique.

So, I can never look at Chiwetel Ejiofor in the same way again.

Must be said, when the better half demanded I watch this film, I was a wee bit concerned, given her penchant for recommending rubbish movies (The Final). But this time, hats off to her, was a corker. This film is alot of fun and in all honesty quite unexpected. I thought it would be a bog standard comedy with a few funny moments but its actually got a fair bit of heart to it, and though it's by no means a masterpiece, its worth a slot on the DVD wall.

However. (Oh come on, you knew there had to be one!)

If I could change anything about this film I would have made the fiancee of the main protagonist even more of a bitch, and not someone who we could almost empathize with. In a way this is me being exceedingly picky, because the way we relate to her antagonistic nature is part of how this film stands out from bog standard rom-coms. She's real, not some plastered on villain that was born to be hated. That's why this film is good. It's a British rom-com based on a true story, and that shows all the way through. America, this is how you do rom-coms. Not with utterly oddball set pieces and things that quite frankly take willing suspension of disbelief and attempt to insert oddly-shaped things into it. Real, believable and natural. Like Chiwetel Ejiofor in a dress.

Right, that review is over. Next up is a film that I am VERY apprehensive about reviewing. Partly because it has played a role in my personal life, and now and then I hold on to things like that. Also because I saw it three times at the cinema (including the entirety of our largest screen to myself in its 3D debut, I might add with a retrospective chuckle) and didn't give it a fair crack of the whip because my attention was elsewhere. So, with a fresh set of eyes and as unbiased an opinion as I can muster(and this will not be easy, mind) my next review will be an extensive look at an extensive movie.

Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment