Saturday 10 March 2012

"Boom! You never know!"

I may or may not have had this conversation with someone at some point, so I'll have it with no-one in particular this time.

 I was in the middle of one of two lonely shifts at the cinema, which are sandwiched in between a couple of excursions to Sweden, the second one pending, and a thought occurred to me. We are currently showing the film 'Safe House', starring Ryan Reynolds and one Denzel Washington. Now from what I understand of this film, its a sort of 'naive young guy takes the lead from chiselled veteran old guy' story. Now, stop me if I veer a little of the accuracy track here, but isn't this the sort of thing Denzel has done before?

Think about it. The Bone Collector. Unstoppable. Training Day. Safe House.

The interesting thing? All the 'naive young' characters are white. The Bone Collector was Angelina Jolie, Unstoppable would be one Chris Pine, and Training Day was Ethan Hawke. Now out of these four, I haven't seen Safe House or the Bone Collector, Unstoppable wasn't bad, and Training Day was really good. I have thus come to one conclusion.

Every film that Denzel makes from this day on should be entitled "Denzel Washington Carrying White Actors Through A Movie : Part 5" and so on.

So, that aside, here's a review.

The Untouchables.

Synopsis - A young detective brings together a team with one objective - to bring down Al Capone.

Now having sat through Dances with Wolves, I am in the unfortunate position of having seen Kevin Costner in more than one film in the space of 10 years. There is something about him that irritates me. Whether its the tone of his voice, or his accent, or his existence, I don't know. Point is, had I not seen Dances with Wolves and been so drained by it, I'd have been able to cope with Costner in this. As it stands, I am waiting at least a year before I watch Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, purely because I can't deal with much Costner. The Bodyguard can fuck off. Insert Whitney Houston joke.

Costner aside, The Untouchables is a pretty good film. Sean Connery, although woefully out of place in terms of accent, was an awesome mentor for the lead character. Personally I don't think Andy Garcia gets enough work, because I enjoyed his role and I don't think I've ever seen him do anything bad (Confidence is a good movie, yeah, I said it), and lets be honest folks, if the character is Italian, Robert De Niro plays it well by default. He could probably try his utmost to act badly, and still come off as realistic. It's well shot, and having not read the script I will assume that it was fairly solid. If not, I blame Costner. It's a safe bet, look at Waterworld and the Postman. And Dances with sodding Wolves.

Honestly, watching this film and watching Costner makes me want to re-write his part. Not the rest of the film, thats fine. Purely Costner's role, to see if it would improve any more. Probably not a great deal, but it would be worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment